Sunday, January 3, 2010

Promises for the New Year…don’t make em and you won’t break em…

I don't make promises for the new year because I've found over the years that I have a tendency backslide. I promised for years that I would quit smoking…every New Years for years and it didn't happen. One year about 20 years ago I did quit but it had nothing to do with a New Years promise/resolution, what it had to do with was my life. I've promised for years to lose the extra few pounds I have put on over the years that now equal about 40…hasn't happened. I've promised to learn this or do that, and each and every time I fail. I think the New Year's resolution thing is a big plan for failure. Now that's the personal side of this, but for some there are some great ideas and resolutions out there and if they can be kept we may all be better off for it.

Reading an article or two on Gun Control I found this gem http://www.bakersfield.com/news/columnist/merlo/x113238579/My-promises-for-the-New-Year . I don't know Steve Merlo but he appears to have his head screwed on straight and I hope he is better at his resolutions than I am. Another article that I found intriguing, though not a New Year's resolution article was this one protesting Obamacare http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_14099060 . Also if your mayor is a member of Bloomberg's MAIG group (you can check here http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=254&issue=011) you might want to call or write him/her a letter and urge them to resign from that group.

A site called Squidoo has the top ten New Year's resolutions listed for the common folk but they aren't what I'm looking for…here they are and below that is how I stack up on them.

  • 1. Stop smoking
  • 2. Get Fit
  • 3. Lose Weight
  • 4. Enjoy Life More
  • 5. Quit Drinking
  • 6. Get Organised
  • 7. Learn Something New
  • 8. Get Out of Debt
  • 9. Spend more time with the Family
  • 10. Help Others
  1. Stop smoking…20 years past that
  2. Get fit…fat chance
  3. Lose weight…see my second answer
  4. Enjoy life more…I couldn't stand it if I enjoyed it any more
  5. Quit drinking… see my second and fourth answers
  6. Get organized…may be worth trying but see my second answer
  7. Learn something new…well that's stupid, I don't think a day goes by that you don't learn something new…well unless you're in a coma or something.
  8. Get out of debt…see my second answer
  9. Spend more time with the family…well I guess that depends on whether or not the family wants to spend more time with me now doesn't it.
  10. Help others…one of the only worthwhile resolutions in the bunch.

The resolutions I'm looking for are ones like:

Mayor Bloomberg resolves to stop going after legal gun owners. News flash; After Mayor Bloomberg got legislation passed in his city that bans all handguns, his bodyguards were arrested and charged with illegal possession of a handgun. Because the mayor's bodyguards were in jail, the mayor was stabbed on his way to work. He is in stable condition at New York's Our Lady of Hope and Change Hospital.

President Obama resolves to stop this spending binge. News Flash; President Obama stopped at McDonalds on his way back to the White House to get the girls a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke. The total cost of the bill was $148,627.23. Meal=$14.71, Tax=$21.75, cost of getting the GAO impact study=$120,500.00 and cost of the motorcade detour=$28,090.77.

Harry Reid resolves to resign this year. News Flash; Harry Reid issued a statement right after the Senate started its 2010 session saying that because he had been blinded by the light emanating from our Nobel wining President he misplaced the trust the Nevadan people had for him, so doing the honorable thing he decided to step down, right after he votes no on health care.

Nancy Pelosi resolves to do number 9 above and leave the American People alone. News Flash; Nancy Pelosi after hearing of her favorite Senator resigning stated that there was no longer a reason to stay in Washington. She would no longer feel the warmth of his bony white hand clutching her shoulder and needed the warmth of her family back in San Francisco.

Eric Holder resolves to understand that his agenda isn't what the American People want. News Flash; Eric Holder got hold of all the faxes and emails that his staff had been keeping from him and came to the grim realization that the American People do not want his brand of gun control. Mr. Holder being a man of the highest moral fabric vowed to stay in office and do nothing until President Obama leaves office, at which time he will resign and move to Finland where the people want gun control.

Congress resolves to stay out of Washington for the year. News Flash; Members of Congress realized that every time they pass a law they screw up something else in America, so in their first legislative move for 2010 they passed a congressional resolution to stay out of Washington for a year, in hopes of doing no more harm to the country.

We can only hope.

prp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Thoughts for Today