Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why I haven’t been posting


I have a friend that is retiring (too bad it isn't me) and it has caused me to think about my plans for retirement. Well hell you really can't think about your plans without doing a little research. As you get closer and closer to retirement you need to make sure the amount of money you have put away will take care of you and your wife, or in my case me and my EX-wife, and still leave you enough to enjoy the remaining good years you have. Now I've got a few problems with retirement, not including the government, which I have to reconcile. First how do I get my retirement home paid off so some bank don't hold a piece of paper that allows them to tell me I have to leave. Second will I have enough money to pay any medical bills I may encounter? Third will I have enough money to eat (this one isn't cheap)? Fourth can I buy a boat that will be big enough to do the things I plan to do? Fifth, do I trade in my motorcycle on a new one http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html#/home/NB or just have the old one overhauled and painted? Sixth, will I be able to buy that airplane I'd love to buy?

Well I guess you can see that I plan to retire and live like a king…not…but a little research into how I'm going to have to live in order to get this accomplished was in order. Besides politics have been dragging me down lately to the point of wanting to grab my bible and guns and go sit in a corner.

In order to supply my Ex-wife enough money to live on and still leave me enough to live on means I can't retire until I have 25 years of service in with my present employer (I have just over 20). So the research indicates that I'll have to work until I'm 61 to have enough time in to accomplish the first goal. Ok I'm down with that.

Now how to pay off the retirement home, so the bank doesn't hold a piece of paper…don't get sick. Ok I'm down with that. Ok, Ok, I know that don't tell you much but let's just say it's a sick time banking kind of thing.

Next for the medical bills, this one is a tough one, I think I'm going to find a doctor that will take cash for services rendered and buy an insurance policy that kicks in after I've spent about 5k. That way the premiums will be extremely low and I can just fund a personal medical account to the tune of 5k a year and go on. Then again if Pelosi and Reed get their way I'll just have to make sure I only get sick with covered illnesses and let the government take care of me. I guess I could shoot someone and get thrown in prison and have everything covered plus get three hots and a cot, only then I couldn't use the boat or plane.

I should have enough money to eat though because while I'm fat now, when the government starts taxing fat people I'll have to lose the weight which will mean I'll eat less and for sure it won't be the things I like.

Now for the boat. This is another tough one, I want a boat with a deck that's is big enough to put my motorcycle on, live on for a month at a time, have couple of cabins, a head, a galley, dual diesel engines with about a 500 mile range. Plus I'd like to have a live well and a freezer for fish. The boat would also have to have about a 15 knot average speed and a 20 to 25 knot top speed (this is because of the current on the river system and once I go down to the Mississippi, I'll still have to go back up).

Next for the motorcycle, I'd love to buy new but I'll probably just overhaul it. It is still a good bike and I do love to ride it.

I know everyone thinks I'm being a little eccentric about a plane, but look here… http://www.barnstormers.com/Biplane,%20Hatz%20Classifieds.htm or here… http://www.barnstormers.com/Biplane,%20Pitts%20Classifieds.htm . These are a couple of possibilities though that isn't all the planes I've looked at, here is one that is slightly out of reach unless I want to forgo the boat… http://www.iconaircraft.com/ , and here is one that is a little more than slightly out of reach… http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=3&Manu=CESSNA&Mdltxt=CITATION+X&mdlx=exact&setype=1 …ok so that's a joke, when I retire there isn't any place I want to go in that big of a hurry nor do I want to be thought of like Al Gore. My real desire is to be able to fly on the weekends, it not cost much to do and not cost much in care and feeding.
prp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Thoughts for Today