Saturday, October 31, 2009

Can’t even forward a joke anymore

I got this joke sent to me and I put it on my forward list and sent it out. I titled it 'Time for a little laugh on us' and a response I got back surprised me…first the joke:

  1. Cows 
  2. The Constitution 
  3. The Ten Commandments 

COWS  Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right
to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington ?
And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.. 
THE CONSTITUTION They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq .... Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore. 
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse or Congress is this, you cannot post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians .... it creates a hostile work environment. 
Also, think about this ... if you don't want to
forward  this for fear of offending someone --YOU ARE PART OF THE  PROBLEM! It is time for America to speak up! 

And now the response:

Speak up on what? There isn't any call to action or anything constructive here at all. Looking at it from a strictly psychological word count every phrase has a negative emotional count, as well as no beneficial action.
It would be nice if the conservative movement could come with something additive rather than subtractive to the national discussion. Then supporting a discussion would actually be helpful, even beneficial; then bipartisanship would actually have useful purpose, seeking common ground on new ideas.

So now my question, should I have been more sensitive to the potential of the wording of the joke? I will admit to not cutting off the offending phrase "Also think about this…" but I really was just looking at the joke and not the forward crap which I tend to ignore.

Anyway I got bit on this one.

prp


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Thoughts for Today