Friday, October 16, 2009

A little thumb in your salad?

I sat yesterday morning and put a safety email together for work. In this safety email I talked about safety of everyday tools, I did this mostly because I cut the tip of my nose with my razor the day before, and thought it might be a good idea to show how complacent we get when we use tools that we are used to using. I included knives, scissors, pliers, screw drivers and razors in the commentary and a few of the people that read the email knew the inside joke with the razor. Now I find that just one day after the safety email I have to own up to complacency with another of the tools mentioned…knives.

Yep, sure as hell I was cutting up some purple cabbage to put in my salad and I’ll be damned if I didn’t try and cut my thumb off (well at least the tip). I was getting ready to enjoy a salad (I don’t want to be taxed because I’m fat) and was cutting up the last ingredient when the unthinkable happened; my left thumb was in the way. I like to keep my knives sharp (what good is a knife that isn’t sharp) and this one is, so when I was cutting and my thumb got in the way, it took almost no pressure, to slice almost all the way through the pad…another one that will leave a mark.

Lessons learned;

• Pay attention, most of these can be prevented by paying attention.

• Don’t use scissors, pliers, screw drivers until this bad mojo is gone.

prp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Thoughts for Today