Saturday, October 10, 2009

Guns and Rights

Today I saw an article on the news about a woman getting killed by her husband
while she chatted online on her web cam. The news played the angle that she was an outspoken gun rights advocate and that she had carried her gun to her child's soccer game in an open carry condition. Fully legal open carry at a soccer game has absolutely no bearing on how or why she died unless her husband shot her because she carried the gun to the soccer game. This type of media coverage, attempting to link two completely separate events to push the fear of firearms is a continuing agenda by people against gun rights.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe what happened to this woman.
    As a concealed permit holder, I didn't quite agree with her stance on open carry, but to each they're own and open carry has been gaining steam because of her and others like her and to have this happen just makes me sick. You just know that some people will use the incident for more 'anti-gun' propaganda or restrictions (or try to).

    One of her neighbors was quoted as saying, "I'm shocked at the whole thing," Fortna said. "I'm surprised she didn't defend herself." When it comes to someone within your 'circle', it can be difficult if not impossible to defend yourself against a murderous attack.

    I was glad to see that the news article online quoted Lebanon County District Attorney Dave Arnold as saying, "I'm a pretty big advocate for the right to possess and own firearms, so I don't look at this as something where there's an indication that stricter gun regulations are necessary," Arnold said. "Obviously responsible gun ownership is the key to gun ownership."

    And that is the key, responsible gun ownership. Just because a person owns a gun doesn't mean they'll use it for bad. It comes down to how 'stable' a person is. There are millions of gun owners in this country and only a very small percentage do bad deeds with the firearms they purchase.

    -Rick
    Las Vegas, NV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad to see the DA come out like that however cool heads don't always prevail. I'm going to keep an eye on this to see if it gains any momentum. I hate to think the fringe media (as I now call CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS etc.) can spin this into more hysteria but all bets are off where they are concerned.

    ReplyDelete

Search Thoughts for Today